Czech Bread - Cesky chleba Sumava
8 cups of flour
2 big cooked potatoes or 4 smaller ones
4 teaspoons of salt
3 teaspoons of caraway
Leaven (Foam yeast):
2 packages of Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast (1/2 oz)
5 teaspoons of warm water
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of flour
1. All ingredients for leaven mix in warm porcelain bowl and let foam in a warm spot (80-85 degrees) for 15 minutes.
2. In a big bowl mix flour, cooked and smashed potatoes, salt, caraway, leaven and 15 oz of warm water.
3. Make really nice dough and let sit on warm spot in the kitchen for 45 minutes (or when the dough get 2x bigger).
4. When the dough rises, make two same halves. Work the dough again and make 2 loafs.
5. Sprinkle the baking plate with flour (so the bread wont stick) and cover with cloth let work for another 15 minutes.
6. When rises smear breads with salted water (2 tablespoons of salt mix with 2 cups of water) and place into oven for 15 minutes (390 degrees Fahrenheit). After 15 minutes take out smear with salted water again and put to the oven for another 15 minutes (340 degrees Fahrenheit). After that bake for another 15 minutes for 320 degrees. Last step is smear with salt water and bake for another 10 minutes (until nice golden color).
Bread will get nice crust on the surface.
7. Finish bread take out of the oven and let cool down.
Tip from me:
- eat warm with butter
- place one loaf in the freezer and you can have fresh bread again later.